[Haifux] NdisWrapper, anyone?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Tue Jan 20 17:27:17 MSK 2009

Hello again.

It may look as if I'm talking with myself here, but the truth is that I
got several replies in private, again. This time the word was that
NdisWrapper should be the last resource. So now I get it: I didn't ask a
stupid question. I wanted to discuss shrimp salad recipes in a
synagogue. Many of you make them at home, but nobody wants to admit that
openly. ;)

So let's clam down about this, OK? NdisWrapper isn't against open source
drivers, since it's a hack solution which can never install
automatically: It requires finding the Windows files by hand. So for a
distribution, only native drivers are to choose. But as an ad-hoc
solution, it's fantastic. For those who want their computers working,
that is.

Anyhow, thanks to those who tried to help. As I implied earlier, I don't
really know why I began messing with wireless, since I don't have any
use of it right now. The interesting issue for me was that a catch-all
solution exists, even if it pollutes the kernel with yuck-yuck
proprietary code.

So, to wrap this little saga up, I detail my own experience. Short
version: It was easy.

---------------------------

First, I tried "yum install ndiswrapper". Was that optimistic, or what?
Not in Red Hat's repositories, it wasn't.

So I downloaded a tarball from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/ (that's the way I really
like it).

And I ran "yum install kernel-devel-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686" (just
"kernel-devel" would be enough for those who are ready to upgrade their
kernel at the same time). Would you believe that I ran a computer
without its kernel sources on it?

And then simply "make" from the project's home directory. And "make
install" as root. No, there was no autoconfigure.

And then

ndiswrapper -i Rt2500.inf

And the driver was installed:

[root at rouge ~]# ndiswrapper -l
rt2500 : driver installed
    device (1814:0201) present (alternate driver: rt2500pci)

Are these guys nice or what? They actually tell me that I shouldn't need
to work with their utility (assuming that the real driver is OK, which
it isn't).

I should mention, that the card is a RaLink RT2500, which has drivers
with several branches. (one of which was loaded automatically from the
very beginning). There's also an official driver from Edimax.  So odds
are, that I would get the thing working if I cared to try which one
works. But really, that wasn't the point.

Thank you all, again.

    Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il