[Haifux] NdisWrapper, anyone?

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Mon Jan 19 17:56:31 MSK 2009

Hello,

For some reason, which is beyond me, I decided to try my wireless card
under FC9. It took me a couple of hours to realize that it's most likely
a Linux driver issue (reading the sources of netplugd turned out helpful).

But that's not the issue. While trying to solve the problem, it occurred
to me, that there is a utility named ndiswrapper, which allows Linux to
use the Windows driver. I suppose it's a bit like mplayer using Windows'
codec DLLs (give or take userspace vs. kernelspace?)

In other words: There is no such thing as "no driver for Linux". At
least not for wireless cards (or any network card?)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NdisWrapper

Question: Does anyone have any experience with this utility? Even
better, can anyone give a step-by-step hands-on lecture on how to get
the #%^$%@# card working?

Don't tell me to do it. I'm well over my quota of Haifux lectures.

    Eli

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il