[Haifux] Lecture Suggestion - Disco Project, an open source Map-Reduce framework based on Erlang and Python (mostly Python :-) )

Orna Agmon Ben-Yehuda ladypine at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 00:13:22 MSK 2009

In short, this is the method google use for parallel processing. Every
operation which needs to be parallel is divided into a mapping stage (where
each worker does something on their own data, and produces a result) and a
reduction stage, where the results of the map are collected into a
meaningful result. This parallelization scheme is highly scalable.

This (upcoming) Sunday's slides on Map-Reduce from the concurrent and
Distributed Programming course:

http://webcourse.cs.technion.ac.il/236370/Winter2008-2009/ho/WCFiles/map-reduce-lecture.pdf
And a canonical paper, linked from the same place:
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce-osdi04.pdf

Orna.