[Haifux] /.: How Do I Start a University Transition To Open Source?

Yossi Gil yossi.gil at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 09:43:13 MSK 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 9:41 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> This will certainly be relevant to some recent posters on the list:
> http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/08/1627242

I guess this was meant for me among others. A couple of comments: (a) I have
no desire to change any university reliance or use of Windows. (b) As far as
I can tell, Windows software costs nothing, or very little to universities -
MS is happy to make such donations. (c) My personal rules for donations are:

(i) Donations? Make sure the donor is not giving you a present you will have
to feed and clean after.
(ii) Unsolicited donations? Exercise great caution.
(iii) Unsolicited software donations? Exercise greater caution. See if the
donor is willing to put money where their words are.