[Haifux] "Windows-Free" laptops in Haifa

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 20:43:44 MSK 2009

> As far as I've seen, it tells the user to check the policy for refund. It
> can very well be to cancel the whole deal, for a refund of the whole sum.
> And the software can also be considered a present. I mean, suppose that you
> go to the supermarket, and you get an extra piece of something because you
> bought for X shekels. Do you think you'll have a chance to get a refund for
> that?

Then just erase the Windows and know that you would have paid the same
price had you declined the present from the beginning. But in any
case, the _effort_ of asking Dell for a non-Windows laptop is
important, because the more they hear it the likelier they will be to
provide it.

> And if you bought a travel package, and then found out something was wrong
> about it, wouldn't the best expectation be to simply cancel the deal, all
> money back?
> The thing you're missing here, is that when you buy a laptop, you're aware
> that there it comes with Windows. The only thing you can complain about, is
> that you were forced to agree to something you don't agree with. The only
> sensible solution in this case, in normal business terms, is to cancel the
> deal. Completely.

Yes, after you've made a stink about Windows. Let Dell decide that the
best course of action is to cancel the transaction, rather than to
refund Windows. And at a bare bare minimum you've shown that Linux
users exist. That's the current problem: they don't think that we
exist because we are not vocal enough.

> I'm glad that Zvi Devir made some noise, because it got the message through,
> that a computer can run something else than Windows. But as far as I'm
> concerned, that's all there is to it.

Then do that.

Dotan Cohen