[Haifux] Student complaints.

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon Feb 2 19:22:27 MSK 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 15:51:41 Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > CAD/CAM for linux:
> > http://www.haifux.org/lectures/159/
>
> Orr, there is nothing that even comes close to competing with
> Solidworks. Moving students from Solidworks to anything that runs on
> Linux would be like removing MS Office and giving them Ed.

To add to this, I should note that I attended this presentation in its Telux
incarnation, and that although it was interesting its title was misleading.
The lecturer said that CAD/CAM programs used to be sold as dedicated machines
that were manufactured especially for running the software, and then they
moved to VAX and UNIX 32-bit workstations, and then once PCs became more
popular they made a slow (and bumpy) transition to Win32. Then he said that
these programs were still not ported to Linux, or are generally available
there, and that it's unlikely to change soon.

The demonstration of the programs themselves was given on Windows, and there
was even a strange attempt that didn't work in order to re-enable a program's
licence by moving the clock backwards.

So it was pointless to give this link as an evidence that CAD/CAM is available
for Linux.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Parody on "The Fountainhead" - http://xrl.us/bjria

<mauke>    I'm not interested in what you're doing; what are you trying to
           achieve?
<PerlJam>  mauke: I'm trying to achieve world peace and this regex is
           the last thing standing in my way! ;)