[Haifux] Student complaints.

Eran Arbel sabrerunner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 16:31:11 MSK 2009

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:51:51 +0200
> From: "Nadav Har'El" <nyh at math.technion.ac.il>
> Subject: Re: [Haifux] Student complaints.
> To: Yossi Gil <yossi.gil at gmail.com>
> Cc: haifux at haifux.org
>

> Here the solution needs to be two two-pronged: First, the system
> administrator
> needs to be responsive and open to requests to install new software that
> students need. Second, the users should have enough quota to install new
> software on their own directory, if they wish to.
>
> It appears the quota problem is repeated by almost everyone who commented.
> I suggest that you should address this issue *immediately*. Disks are so
> cheap today, that there's simply no excuse to be cheap on quota. If you
> want,
> I can eleborate.
> This would be, no question about it, the first task I would ask the
> sysadmins to take care of.
>
> Again, did anybody tell them that they can install OpenOffice at home too,
> and save hundreds of shekels in the process?
>
> This was my (pretty long) 2 cents. I hope it helped, even a bit.
>
> Nadav.
>
> --
> Nadav Har'El                        |       Monday, Feb  2 2009, 8 Shevat
> 5769
> nyh at math.technion.ac.il
> |-----------------------------------------
> Phone +972-523-790466, ICQ 13349191 |I have a watch cat! If someone breaks
> in,
> http://nadav.harel.org.il           |she'll watch.

I'd like just to comment on the disk and office files issue.

1) Disks are cheap. Last time I checked with the CS farm downstairs, the
quota per student was about 20mb.
I work in the HS-DS Lab in EE and here we have 500mb per student, the
ability to do a triple backup (at least) and we're in no rush of space.
Maybe the student number is lower here but I still think it's a shame.

2) With the MS-Office/Other Office issue, there is a simpler solution then
switching to one system or another: Use formats that are cross platform by
themselves like rtf or plain text or even pdf and html.
I know a pdf editor that is free and where I frequent (scifi magazines,
conventions and the like), people prefer to work with rtf files and some
won't accept any other.

--
Don't let people drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance.
And no one ever said being a heretic was easy.
May we meet in Less Interesting Times...
http://eran.geek.co.il