[Haifux] GIMP workshop(s): Any interest?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:08:23 MSD 2008

2008/9/12 Eli Billauer <eli at billauer.co.il>:
> Hi again.
> Well, it looks like there is some interest, after all...
> Given that two weeks from next lecture happens to be September 29th,
> which is Erev Rosh HaShana, we could either go for October 6th or
> September 22nd (making it sort-of-SiL). I'm fine with both.

I would prefer September 22nd, as I begin work in October.

> Dave Roi wrote:
>> I think the more important issue here is the fact that we, as a more
>> technically inclined user group, are having such a hard time using it,
>> how do we expect the simple windows user to do so?
> There are plenty of simple tools out there, under Windows, for simple
> uses. Once you want to do something more advanced, you need a more
> sophisticated tool, which is not going to be simple to use. You can't
> have them both.

Well, I have both Kolourpaint and GIMP installed. So, technically, you
could have them both but maybe not in the same application.

> I think that the main reason GIMP has frustrated so many, is that it's
> more or less the *only* tool around for Linux machines, so even those
> with the simple tasks are forced to go for a sophisticated tool. The
> problem is not GIMP, but the lack of some (well known and widespread)
> quick-and-dirty tool for image manipulation under Linux.

[koulor|tux]paint? Kolourpaint comes with KDE, so it should be a least
a little widespread.

> The solution offered: Learn the tool. ;)

Next Monday?

Dotan Cohen