[Haifux] Fwd: EuroSys Student Travel Grant to attend OSDI 2008

Muli Ben-Yehuda muli at il.ibm.com
Sun Oct 12 10:15:33 MSD 2008

Perhaps one of the PhD students on the list will be interested:

EuroSys Student Travel Grants (OSDI 08): Call for Applications

A primary goal of the EuroSys society is to promote excellence in
Computer Systems education, research and industry in Europe.  As such,
we are offering the opportunity for talented European PhD students to
attend a top-class systems conference where they can be exposed to
high-standard research in the company of peers from around the world.

EuroSys therefore offers TWO TRAVEL GRANTS for PhD students to attend
the OSDI 2008 conference. OSDI is one of the leading systems conferences
and has published many influential results in previous years.

The travel grants will fully fund air travel to the conference (up to
a preset limit sufficient from most European locations),
registration fees and budget accommodation for up to 4 nights, which
may involve sharing a room. Other costs, such as meals not already
included in the registration fees, will not be reimbursed by EuroSys.
Recipients of a Usenix student travel grant are also eligible to
apply, but will only receive top-up funding for expenses not already
covered.

In return, we will ask travel grant recipients to carry out two tasks:
- Distribute EuroSys fliers or posters at the conference.
- Write a summary of the conference for the EuroSys webpage, or even better,
maintain a real-time blog of the sessions such as the one by Derek
Murray at SOSP 2007: http://www.mrry.co.uk/blog/2007/10/.

The EuroSys travel grant is a competitive award with recipients
selected by merit rather than need. Note that it is not a strict
requirement to be a member of EuroSys to apply, and free membership
for the following year will be included as part of the grant.

The submission deadline is October 27th 2008 and no extension will be
given.

If you wish to apply please address your application to
travelgrants at eurosys.org and include the following:

- Your CV.
- At most 1 paragraph summarising your current research.
- At most 1 page on which paper you think is the most interesting in past
  proceedings of the OSDI conference and why.
- If you are neither a PhD student at a European institution nor a member
  of EuroSys: explain why you think EuroSys should fund your trip.

We also require a recommendation letter from your PhD advisor sent
directly to travelgrants at eurosys.org by the October 27th deadline.

Selection committee:
- Rebecca Isaacs, Microsoft Research
- Guillaume Pierre, VU university Amsterdam

http://www.eurosys.org/travel-grant/
--
The First Workshop on I/O Virtualization (WIOV '08)
Dec 2008, San Diego, CA, http://www.usenix.org/wiov08/