[Haifux] Why open source

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Fri Nov 28 20:55:08 MSK 2008

On Friday 28 November 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
> I think the question is why not open source?
> The question is not how you make money from open source, although this is
> not always obvious, you can see many companies who does make money from
> open source.
> But how do you make money from closed source? this remains a mystery to me.

Ahmm.... by licensing it, or selling it, or providing services for it?

I'm not saying your income is guaranteed this way, but it is possible.

See also:

http://www.whatsup.org.il/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=4003

Now the million dollars' question is whether the percentage of companies whose
software is open-source and are profitable is larger than that of companies
whose software is proprietary. (Naturally excluding all the companies who
develop in-house, embedded, etc. software).

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> I would be happy to give a talk about it, actually I think it is better to
> have a discussion about it so it will not be a talk but rather a
> discussion.

What Makes Software Apps High Quality -  http://xrl.us/bkeuk

fortunes in freecell? -- Ran Eilam