[Haifux] Suggested lecture: "Crash and burn: writing Linux application fault handlers"

gabik gabik at cs.technion.ac.il
Mon May 12 16:43:28 MSD 2008

I am interested.

Gabi

-----Original Message-----
From: haifux-bounces at haifux.org [mailto:haifux-bounces at haifux.org] On Behalf
Of Gilad Ben-Yossef
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2008 10:48 AM
To: haifux at haifux.org
Subject: [Haifux] Suggested lecture: "Crash and burn: writing Linux
application fault handlers"

Howdy folks,

I'd like to suggest a lecture for Haifux meeting.

Title: Crash and burn: writing Linux application fault handlers

Abstract:

Complementing the standard Linux fault handler ("Segmentation fault.
Core dumped.") with a custom handler that reports the crashing program state
without a debugger is a useful endeavor in many situations.
Unfortunately, writing such a fault handler correctly can be surprisingly
hard and requires certain amount of black magic.

The proposed lecture is a tutorial that will demonstrate how to write such a
handler, covering such topics as: getting program symbolic stack trace and
registers and reporting them safely, the care and feeding of async signal
POSIX handler functions, how to avoid implicit memory allocations and how to
test for them, how to handle multi-threaded faults, the black magic involved
with how Linux handles signal handlers, the unfortunate effect this has on
obtaining a correct stack trace in case of a fault and how to overcome this
limitation.

Let me know if there is interest and available times.

Cheers,
Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef