[Haifux] Ideas for meetings

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 23:31:06 MSD 2008

I'd like to see a meeting about building packages with tools like
cmake. I know that the basic steps include
wget something
tar something
cd somewhere
cmake // i have no idea what this does
make // what does this do?
sudo make install // what really goes on here?

It would be nice to analize the file system before and after each
step, like this:

wget something // Downloaded file. There is now a new file on the
filesystem in the current directory
tar something // Uncompresses archive. There is now a new directory,
as a child of the current directory. It is full of files.
cd somewhere // Move to new directory
cmake // What is written in this step? Where? If I have to do it
again, what must be erased first?
make // What does this do? What does it write?
sudo make install // Same questions as above.

I could bring a laptop with a fresh Kubuntu install in a 10 GB
partition for testing. The laptop has VGA out and wifi.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il