[Haifux] [Haifux Lecture] User space syscall tracing andmanipulation - fakeroot-ng by Shachar Shemesh

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu Jan 17 16:10:10 MSK 2008

Muli Ben-Yehuda wrote:

>> 2. Syscall generation - program calls one syscall, you make it call
>>    three.
>>

> Interesting... I assume this is without kernel support (e.g., UML's
> SKAs patches).

I wouldn't be able to call it "user space" if it was.

I should point out that, ptrace being ptrace, some level of
understanding (and even duplication) of what the kernel is doing was
necessary. I can think of no syscall so platform dependent as ptrace. I
made every attempt (and I'll talk about that as well) to make the code
as free of #ifdefs as possible.

Shachar