[Haifux] [Haifux Lecture] User space syscall tracing andmanipulation - fakeroot-ng by Shachar Shemesh

Muli Ben-Yehuda muli at il.ibm.com
Thu Jan 17 14:08:01 MSK 2008

On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 12:45:10PM +0200, Shachar Shemesh wrote:

> Fakeroot-ng is a (as far as I know) first attempt to do the things
> usually done with LD_PRELOAD using the ptrace mechanism. It was both
> the trigger and the root cause of this lecture.

Not sure what you mean by "things usually done with LD_PRELOAD?"
Certainly ptrace has been used to both trace and modify running
binaries, by gdb, strace, dumpmem[1], memfetch[2] and others. I think
I even gave a haifux talk on run-time modification of programs using
ptrace for fun an profit a few years ago.

> The lecture will look at fakeroot, fakechroot, fakeroot-ng and
> strace, at varying degrees of depths, mostly because all four chose
> slightly different approaches for solving, fundamentally, the same
> problem.

They did?

Sounds like an interesting talk, will try to attend.

[1] http://www.mulix.org/dumpmem.html
[2] http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/soft/memfetch.tgz

Cheers,
Muli