[Haifux] [Haifux Meeting] Crawling in Lightning
eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Feb 9 16:15:45 MSK 2008
Next Monday, 11th of February, at 18:30 the Haifa Linux Club, will
gather for a lightning talk session
Crawling in Lightning
This is a show-me-the-source meeting, during which several one-liners
and scripts will be presented. The core subject is methods for
interacting with HTTP web servers ("faking Firefox") in order to fetch
information, vote automatically in polls etc.
This meeting consists of several short talks, by several speakers (*).
The agenda is as follows, 5-10 minutes per item (subject to change):
* A very short introduction to HTTP (mainly showing a typical session
* A script in Python with exception handling
* A short script in Python for fetching mp3's
* Perl script to rip image galleries (LWP) with cookie handling for login
* A Ruby script
* Perl: Using the POST method to vote automatically
* A Perl/Tk GUI script helping in developing crawlers
(*) It turned out that there is more interest than experience in the
field among Haifuxers. As a result, more than one of the items above
will be delivered by yours truly.
We meet in Taub building, room 6. For location information see:
Attendance is free, and you are all invited!
Tapping into the Fountain of CPUs---On Operating System Support for
Programmable Devices, by Muli Ben-Yehuda, 25/2/2008
We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event Haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org
More information about the Haifux