[Haifux] [W2l] New "Welcome to Linux" Series

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 18:45:53 MSD 2008

2008/8/19 Orr Dunkelman <orr.dunkelman at gmail.com>:
> On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:26 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would recommend a campain as opposed to an event. The campain would
>> be on two fronts:
>> 1) Getting people ready for Linux: Switching to FOSS cross-platform
>> software even on Windows (OOo, Thunderbird and Firefox in particular)
>> 2) Getting Linux ready for people: writing to software makers
>> (Solidworks in particular) and asking about Linux or Wine 1.0
>> compatible versions.
>
> sorry for the confusion. when I suggested event I meant a lecture series.
>
> Past W2L series dealt with point number 1 as well (number 2 is very
> specific, and you might wish to contact my dad concerning point #2,
> there are some CAD solutions for Linux, though SolidWorks is not one
> of them, yet).

Please give to him my address, thanks.

>>> * It's good to have a short series of a few talks introducing Linux -
>>> raises awareness, and helps people to get into Linux.
>>
>> Do this one-on-one with your friends, not in a lecture.
>
> There is an advantage for taking 100 people and talking about this
> once. When correctly done, you can expect, that they get about 80% of
> the value of spending this time one-on-one. In other words, you can
> inform more effectively this way.

I disagree with 80%, unless it is a very good speaker. We take much
for granted that new users don't. For instance, the fact that MS !=
computer. (My Microsoft boots, but my Windows will not connect)

> Of course, it would be important to take into consideration the fact
> that FOSS is no longer something nobody heard of.
>
> BTW, do note that in the past we had the help of some courses, where
> the TAs/lecturers encouraged people to attend, as it will help them
> (Matam, OS, etc.).
>
>>> * A good place to "recruit" new club members.
> This is highly needed, as new recruits, at the end become new speakers.
> I can name a few recent lecturers who were exposed to haifux as part
> of W2L events.
>
>>> Some points against:
>>> * This year, the students are going to be still stressed with all the
>>> artifacts of the last strike, so attendance will be slightly lower
>>> than expected.
>>
>> Especially in Haifa: the Technion only this week finished classes from
>> spring semester, and is now going into Moed A tests.
> Also, this year (due to the schedule of study), everything starts
> late, which usually causes the students to be less inclined in
> "after-hour" lectures.

Exactly

> Was there any discussion prior to Rami's talk?

I don't know, I'm not that active.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com