[Haifux] [hackers-il] My "Stop Using (and Teaching) C-Shell and Tcsh" Page

Beni Cherniavsky cben at users.sf.net
Fri Oct 19 18:39:28 MSD 2007

On 10/6/07, Shlomi Fish <shlomif at iglu.org.il> wrote:
> We discussed the C-shell in these mailing lists before. A few days ago I
> decided to set up the definitive anti-C-shell page, based on an email I
> wrote, so I did:
>
> http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/anti/csh/

Good page.  Definitely s/tcsh/bash/g is even more obvious than s/cvs/svn/g ;-)

But for those of us that find even {ba,z,k}sh unsatisfactory, I highly
recommend trying the Friendly Interactive SHell
<http://fishshell.org/>.  It fixes many things like quoting, innovates
in configuration and has interactive syntax-higlighted
multiline-editing completing-on-steroids prompt.

I do have to warn that it is still evolving, not perfectly stable, and
has performance problems.  So you might not want it as your login
shell yet, but it's definitely worth checking out.

See http://fishshell.org/wiki/moin.cgi/BashToFish for some highlights
and a quick start.

--
Beni Cherniavsky <cben at users.sf.net> (I read email only on weekends)

Joyce hangs up an African mask and says "It cheers up the room."
Buffy: "It's angry at the room, Mom. It wants the room to suffer."
   -- `Dead Man's Party`, BtVS S03E02