[HAIFUX LECTURE] Nested Virtualization: Shadow Turtles -- Orit Wasserman

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Dec 21 17:34:33 IST 2013

On Monday, December 23rd at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Orit Wasserman:

    Nested Virtualization: Shadow Turtles

Abstract

Nested virtualization -- running multiple hypervisors in virtual
machines -- has come a long way in recent years. Since we first
published KVM nested virtualization on Intel platforms ("The Turtles
project", 2010), nested virtualization has made important strides into
the mainstream. These days, all hypervisors support it to some degrees,
and hardware support specifically for nested virtualization is starting
to appear. The first part of this talk will provide an overview of
nested virtualization in KVM today, including several emerging
real-world use-cases and the current state of KVM's x86 nested
virtualization support: what works, what doesn't, and what remains to be
done. The second part will cover the recent "Shadow VMCS" hardware from
Intel: what it is, how it works, how we added KVM support, and the
potential benefits it can bring. Joint work with Abel Gordon and Nadav
Har'El.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

There are no scheduled lectures! Do YOU have anything interesting to
talk about?

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il