[HAIFUX LECTURE] Unicode Issues in Perl -- Meir Guttman

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Apr 20 20:55:08 MSD 2013

On Monday, April 22nd at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Meir Guttman:

    Unicode Issues in Perl

Abstract

Remember ASCII? One page and you know all about it! Unicode’s core
document is 690 easy-reading pages. And then there are 13 annexes...
Issues like Unicode strings, Regular expressions having these, collating
and searching/comparing strings are by no means trivial. Unicode
supports “diacritics”, all those pesky signs such as the German “umlaut”
characters, not to mention our own “ניקוד” and “טעמי המקרא”. When you
search for ‘garçon’, is ‘garcon’ a match? This presentation will try to
introduce the issues involved and will lead to some knowledge about how
to deal with them in Perl.

We meet in Taub building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

13/05/13 Command-line utilities: Tips and tricks (part II): Eli
          Billauer
27/05/13 THIS SLOT CAN BE YOURS!
10/06/13 Resource Management in Linux: Rami Rosen
24/06/13 DNS security tutorial: Haya Shulman

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il