[HAIFUX LECTURE + PLEASE VOTE] Automatic parallelization in GCC - Razya Ladelsky

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sat Mar 31 21:19:11 IDT 2012

Part I: Call for participation in poll.
==========================

Do you happen to forget to make time for Haifux?

We currently give only a late notice (reminder), counting on people to
get updated using other means (website, calendar).

We do not want to burden you with announcements, so we would like to
know how many announcements you would like to get, and when. Keep in
mind that things may change at the last minute, so the sooner we
announce the more we might need to correct announcements. However,
meetings seldom get rescheduled on the last week.

Please take this poll to voice your opinion. The link to your poll is:

http://www.doodle.com/g38p3tksyuex4eta

Either way, this list retains its once-in-two-weeks policy unless an
explicit notice is sent.

Part II: Lecture announcement
=======================

On Monday, April 2nd at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear a talk by
Razya Ladelsky (IBM HRL):

   Automatic parallelization in GCC

*** Please note the change of room! ***

Abstract

With the emergence of multicore architectures there is a growing need
for automatic parallelization, that distributes sequential code into
multi threaded code. OpenMP defines language extensions to C, C++, and
Fortran for implementing multi-threaded shared memory applications.
Generation of such extensions by the compiler relieves programmers from
the manual parallelization process. OpenMP specification has been
implemented in GCC, and is part of the standard release since version 4.2.

In this talk we review the OpenMP and the data dependence support which
serve as the basic infrastructure for the automatic parallelization in
GCC. We describe the capabilities of the automatic parallelization,
demonstrated by some examples, and show its benefits with SPEC2006
experiments. Finally, we discuss current and future directions of work
that may further extend the optimization's applicability.

We meet in Taub building, room 3. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future lectures:

Modern Web Development in Perl Gabor Szabo 16/04/2012
GUI in perl (Tentative) Gabor Szabo 23/04/2012
Scientific Python (Tentative)  30/04/2012
RDMA verbs          Dotan Barak (Mellanox)    16/05/2012

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org
<mailto:webmaster at haifux.org>

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il