[HAIFUX LECTURE] Root on NFS: Running Linux on a diskless computer - Eli Billauer

Eli Billauer eli at billauer.co.il
Sun Jan 30 02:35:05 IST 2011

On Monday, January 31st (TOMORROW) at 18:30, Haifux will gather to hear
Eli Billauer talk about

    Root on NFS: Running Linux on a diskless computer

Abstract

A motherboard, a CPU, and a memory stick. Add a fan and a power supply,
and you have a little computer which boots from network and keeps all
its data on a hosting computer's disk through NFS. The shopping list for
new components goes as low as 600 NIS, which makes this an attractive
solution in cases where a dedicated computer is useful, be it for
mission-critical applications, cases where the hardware may be damaged
or stolen, or because the OS is bound to crash often (kernel hacking).

This lecture is a walktrough of my own recent experience of setting up a
diskless computer, using cobbler for coordinating the PXE boot. It will
involve the gory technical details as well as my own insights after
making a fullblown Linux system run without any local storage.

Download the slides at http://haifux.org/lectures/250/haifux-diskless.pdf

We meet in Taub (CS Faculty) building, room 6. For instructions see:
http://www.haifux.org/where.html

Attendance is free, and you are all invited!

Future Haifux talks include:
14/2/2011  Encryption - Alice, Bob and Co. by Amichay Peretz Klopshtock
28/2/2011  UniversAAL - Open Source platform for Ambient Assisted Living
and Smart Home Environment by Vadim Eisenberg

We are always interested in hearing your talks and ideas. If you wish to
give a talk, hold a discussion, or just plan some event haifux might be
interested in, please contact us at webmaster at haifux.org

--
Web: http://www.billauer.co.il