ACE Communications control - The all-mighty Reactor
Originally written by
- One of the nicest parts of ACE is its socket-programming wrapper
module - the ACE Reactor, and the ACE Acceptor-Connector.
- Using them, it is extremely easy to write a select-based server that
handles as many clients as we want.
- This Reactor allows adding clients and server-listeners quickly - all
you need to do is derive from the proper Acceptor (server) or Connector
(client) class, implement a few methods, and you're set.
- Thus, we had a Link class to handle the WAN link (where compression
and connections interleaving is performed).
- We had a similar class to bring up listener sockets on the branch-office,
and to connect to the data-center servers (on the data-center side).
- It took about 2 weeks to have software to proxy one service (with no
management or compression capabilities). It took a while more to make this
software configurable via an XML file.